A common question asked by coffee lovers and chocolate lovers is “Does a mocha have caffeine?”
Without beating about the bush and dragging out the answer, yes, a mocha has caffeine.
But how much caffeine, where does the caffeine come from and does it have more caffeine than regular coffee?
Keep reading to get the answers to all those questions!
Does A Mocha Have Caffeine?
Yes, a mocha has caffeine. The actual caffeine content comes from two sources, the espresso base and the chocolate. Regardless of the type of chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate, there are a few milligrams of caffeine which means the amount of caffeine is slightly higher than an espresso and other popular coffee drinks like a latte and cappuccino.
The differences in caffeine between a latte and a mocha are very minor and insignificant. At most the additional caffeine is only the equivalent to less than half a shot of espresso.
The mocha caffeine content is as follows:
- Short 8 Oz (240 ml): 90 milligrams of caffeine.
- Tall 12 Oz (360 ml): 95 milligrams of caffeine.
- Grande 16 Oz (480 ml): 175 milligrams of caffeine.
- Venti 20 Oz (600 ml): 185 milligrams of caffeine.
When compared to a latte coffee, the caffeine content for each of the same four drink sizes are 75 mg, 75, mg, 150 mg and 150 mg respectively.
Does White Mocha Have Caffeine?
Yes, the white chocolate mocha has caffeine. It has slightly less caffeine than a regular dark chocolate mocha and the same amount as a café latte.
The caffeine quantity that you can expect in a white chocolate mocha coffee is as follows:
- Short 8 Oz (240 ml): 75 milligrams of caffeine.
- Tall 12 Oz (360 ml): 75 milligrams of caffeine.
- Grande 16 Oz (480 ml): 150 milligrams of caffeine.
- Venti 20 Oz (600 ml): 150 milligrams of caffeine.
The taste of white mocha is different, and well worth the change. I love it when I want to mix things up.
Does McDonald’s Mocha Have Caffeine?
Yes, a McDonald’s mocha has caffeine, slightly less total caffeine than what is served at Starbucks.
Here is how much caffeine is in each drink size at McDonald’s:
- Small 12 Oz (360 ml): 86 mg of caffeine.
- Medium 16 Oz (480 ml): 167 mg of caffeine.
- Large 21 Oz (630 ml): 200 mg of caffeine.
Does A Mocha Frappé Have Caffeine?
Yes, a mocha frappé from McDonald’s has caffeine. The amount of caffeine that you can expect from this beverage is as follows:
- Small 12 Oz (360 ml): 100 mg of caffeine.
- Medium 16 Oz (480 ml): 125 mg of caffeine.
- Large 21 Oz (630 ml): 180 mg of caffeine.
It is fair and accurate to say that there is an ample caffeine kick from each of these drinks with a large 21 oz (630 ml) being on the strong side.
Read: Latte Vs Mocha
Does Mocha Ice Cream Have Caffeine?
And this is worth knowing in case you want to feed it to your kids. While there is a small amount of caffeine in mocha ice cream for an adult, it is typically less than 50 mg per serving, which is 2/3rd of a shot of espresso (20 ml, 2/3 of an Oz), not something an adult would be too stimulated with but small children….
I’ll leave it to your judgement! Just be aware that there is caffeine in mocha ice cream!
What Is A Mocha?
A mocha is a coffee and chocolate beverage that is delightful, delicious and interpreted many different way all over the world. It perfectly meets both chocolate and coffee lovers needs in a single drink.
The traditional and best way of making the drink involves the use of mocha coffee beans, which are a rare sub species of coffea arabica coffee. The mocha beans get their name from the city of Mocha in Yemen, where the beans were originally grown and one of the earliest trading posts for coffee of all varieties.
Mocha beans are known for their tasty chocolate notes but still need a bit of chocolate to coax out those flavors from them.
It is worthy of mentioning that most, and by most I mean the vast majority of coffee shops make their mocha coffee with regular coffee beans.
Making it involves a shot of espresso and adding hot chocolate, chocolate syrup, chocolate sauce or mixing cocoa powder and hot milk, usually steamed milk.
There are a few tasty variations of this drink, let’s talk about those!
Variations Of A Mocha
There are some lovely, lush variations of a mocha that you try if and when you want to vary your mocha.
- Cordusio Mocha: Hybrid of a Cappuccino, Latte and a mocha made in an Italian style.
- Salted Caramel Mocha: Mocha with salted caramel sauce.
- White Chocolate Mocha: A tasty variation with white chocolate sauce instead of dark chocolate.
- Peppermint Mocha: When you get the combination of the peppermint right with the dark chocolate and subdued coffee taste, it can match that of an after eight dinner mint.
- Orange Mocha: A creation of mine. The orange syrup is homemade and sugar-free. Made well it replicates Terry’s chocolate orange…in a cup. An amazing coffee!
- Dark Mocha Nitro Cold Brew: This is very enjoyable due to the natural creaminess of nitro cold brew and the mellow and balanced cold brew coffee mixed with tones of chocolate.
- Mocha Frappuccino: A frozen beverage with ice coffee and chocolate sauce.
- Mocha Cookie Crumble: A frozen beverage with coffee, mocha sauce, ice, whipped cream and chocolate cookie crumble.
- Iced Mocha: An version of a mocha with ice.
- Iced White Mocha: An iced version of a white mocha.
- Mocha Latte: A latte with chocolate sauce. More milk is used in this variation than a regular mocha.
- Mochaccino: In all essence, a cappuccino with an ample amount of chocolate sauce or hot chocolate added.
There are likely more variations, join our community and tell us about them!
Does A Mocha Have Coffee In It?
Yes, coffee forms an integral part of a mocha beverage. There is no absolute set in stone recipe and exact type of coffee that must be used. You will see it on coffee shop menus with the more modern way of making it – what an espresso shot. It is also common for it to be made with brewed coffee and at home even with a moka pot.
The has to be strong, but not too strong that it dominates the beverage. The chocolate must be tasted and in balance with the coffee.
Does Mocha Have More Caffeine Than Coffee?
there is slightly more caffeine in mocha than a regular coffee due to additional caffeine content that is present in the chocolate. The table below compares the caffeine content of popular mocha beverages with a latte.
|Drink Size||Latte||White Chocolate Mocha||Café Mocha||Cordusio Mocha||Salted Caramel Mocha||Peppermint
|Nitro Cold Brew Mocha W/Milk|
|Short 8 Oz (240 ml)||75 mg||75 mg||90 mg||155 mg||90 mg||90 mg||225 mg|
|Tall 12 Oz (360 ml)||75 mg||75 mg||95 mg||155 mg||95 mg||95 mg||295 mg|
|Grande 16 Oz (480 ml).||150 mg||150 mg||175 mg||315 mg||175 mg||175 mg||N/A|
|Venti 20 Oz (600 ml).||150 mg||150 mg||185 mg||320 mg||185 mg||185 mg||2/A|
Does Mocha Have Espresso?
Yes, it is very common for coffee bars and coffee shops to use an espresso shot as the coffee base for making a mocha.
Does A Mocha Have Coffee In It?
Yes, the type of coffee most commonly used is a shot of espresso. Coffee lovers at home can use other types of coffee to make it, including moka pot and strong drip coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions About Does A Mocha Have Caffeine?
How Much Caffeine Is In A Mocha?
The amount of caffeine in a mocha varies depending on the size of the drink that you ordered. Here is a list of the amount of caffeine you can expect in a caffe mocha from Starbucks:
- Short 8 Oz (240 ml) Mocha: 90 mg of caffeine.
- Tall 12 Oz (360 ml) Mocha: 95 mg of caffeine.
- Grande 16 Oz (480 ml) Mocha: 175 mg of caffeine.
- Venti 20 Oz (600 ml): 185 mg of caffeine.
Is Mocha Stronger Than Coffee?
Brewed coffee has a greater total caffeine content than a mocha. To give a comparison, a mocha has 90 milligrams of caffeine to 185 milligrams of caffeine depending on the size of the drink. brewed coffee caffeine levels range from 155 mg of caffeine for a short 8 ounce (240 ml) serving to 410 mg for a 20 Oz (600 ml) serving.
Does Chocolate Mocha Have Caffeine?
Yes, chocolate mocha has caffeine. The amount of caffeine is the same as a coffee beverage with hot chocolate added to it. The caffeine content varies slightly depending of the type of coffee and the type of chocolate used. On average a 12 oz (360 ml) cup will have 150 milligrams of caffeine.
Does A Mocha Have Coffee In It?
Yes, the name mocha originates from the city of Mocha in Yemen and is a specific species of Arabica coffee bean. It is also in reference to the tasty coffee beverage that is a mixture of coffee and chocolate.
Will Mocha Keep You Awake?
Yes, due to the caffeine content, a mocha will keep you awake if you drink it too late at night.
Can You Get A Mocha Without Caffeine?
Yes, you can order a decaffeinated mocha at Starbucks. It is made with decaffeinated coffee and mocha syrup. Keep in mind that decaffeinated does not mean caffeine free as decaffeinated coffee be it from Starbucks or other coffee shops will have a minimal amount of caffeine, typically 5 mg to 10 mg.
Final Thoughts About – Does A Mocha Have Caffeine?
Now you have the answer to that pertaining question, does a mocha have caffeine, and you know exactly how much caffeine is in a mocha for each drink size and for various different types of mocha beverages you carefully decide which one is best for you and be careful not overload on caffeine late in the afternoon or evening.
Join our online coffee community and take part by sharing your coffee creations, latte art, delicious recipes and those funny coffee memes and jokes. Find us on Facebook/Meta.